Herbal cheeses and cheese spreads you see in the stores cost about $12 per pound. This recipe can be made for $4 +/- a pound. This herb combination is close to Boursin cheese in flavor.
We traveled by boat from New England to New Orleans via Canada and the inland waterways. Along the way we met a couple and they passed on the basis for this recipe. It is a great thing to have on hand , so it is very handy when you are traveling by boat and no stores are available.
Herbal Cheese Spread
- 1 lb. Cream Cheese (can use low fat or non fat)
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley - minced
- 1 tsp. fresh chives - minced
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. pepper (I use white pepper)
Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature and mix. Chill for 12 hours. Serve at room temperature.
Serving suggestions: Spread on crackers, veggie chips or fresh vegetable slices like cucumbers. Roll in ham or prosciutto. Use in a baked potato or spread on top of a grilled steak.
Herbal Variations - Using the recipe in this article, you can make a number of variations.
- Dill herbal cheese
- Substitute 2 tsp. of dill for 1/4 tsp. thyme
- Basil herbal cheese
- Substitute 2 1/2 tsp of basil for 1/4 tsp thyme
- Herbes de Provance herbal cheese
- Substitute 1 tsp Herbes de Provance for 1/4 tsp thyme